2022 Canada $1 35th Anniversary of the Loonie Renewed Silver Dollar (No Tax)
In 2022, Canada’s one-dollar circulation coin turns 35, and we’re marking the occasion by re-visiting a previous anniversary edition: the 1997 10th Anniversary of the Loon proof silver dollar. Re-created in a larger 2 oz. format and in 99.99% pure silver—a higher purity than the original sterling silver coin—the Flying Loon makes a splashy return on the eighth Renewed Silver Dollar coin, which features just two modern updates on its reverse: selective gold plating and the double dates (“1987-2022”) commemorating the Loonie’s 35th anniversary.
In addition to the 1997 sterling silver proof dollar (and this collectible), Jean-Luc Grondin’s Flying Loon design has appeared on the dollar coins that were specially struck for the 1997 Oh Canada! and Specimen sets. You might have also seen this image on a more recent collectible: 2020’s R&D Lab: Flying Loon coin, featuring “lifting engraving” that raises the loon above the surface of the coin (and lake).
A Masters Club exclusive: The 2 oz. collectible is a reproduction of the 10th Anniversary of the One Dollar Loon coin issued in 1997. Enhanced with selective gold plating, the reverse design by Canadian artist Jean-Luc Grondin features a flying loon in a lake setting, along with the double dates “1987-2022” commemorating the 35th anniversary of Canada’s one-dollar circulation coin. The obverse features the historic effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Dora de Pedery-Hunt.
Item Number: 205179
Composition: 99.99% pure silver with selective gold plating
Weight: 62.69 g
Diameter: 50 mm
Face Value: $1
Artist: Jean-Luc Grondin (reverse), Dora de Pedery-Hunt (obverse)
• A Masters Club exclusive! Coin #8 in a series that celebrates historic proof dollar designs. The Renewed Silver Dollar series was specifically designed for the Royal Canadian Mint's Masters Club, and this exclusive coin is only available to its members—it’s a celebration of your hobby, and it’s our way of saying “thank you” for being one of our most loyal collectors.
• Beautiful gold plating! Selective gold plating highlights the Flying Loon on the reverse, the effigy on the obverse, and the rim on both sides.
• A precious metal upgrade! With its combination of 99.99% pure silver and selective 99.99% pure gold plating, this 2 oz. is an enhanced version of the original sterling silver (92.5%) coin issued in 1997—and nearly twice its size, too!
• Same obverse as the original! Just like the original 1997 issue, this coin’s obverse features the diademed effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Dora de Pedery-Hunt.
• Exclusive packaging! Ready for display in its wooden case, the coin comes packaged in a graphic beauty box that identifies it as a Masters Club exclusive.
• High demand, low mintage! This limited-edition collectible has an exceptionally low mintage of just 2,500 coins. Every coin in the Renewed Silver Dollar series sold out quickly:
Coin #8 is sure to be a sought-after piece, too. So don’t wait—order today!
The coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded wooden case with a graphic beauty box bearing the Masters Club logo.