2020 Canada $1 Renewed Silver Dollar: 140th Anniversary of the Arctic Territories Fine Silver Coin (No Tax)
The sixth coin in the Royal Canadian Mint's exclusive Master's Club Renewed Silver Dollar series re-visits another historic design from our past: the 1980 Arctic Territories Centennial silver dollar coin.
Selectively gold plated on this 2 oz. version, the renewed silver dollar’s polar bear reverse commemorates the 140th anniversary of the transfer of the Arctic islands from the British Government to the Government of the Dominion of Canada. Effective September 1, 1880, the historic land claim transfer significantly expanded Canada’s territory, and it underscored this country’s identity as a northern nation.
The reverse is a reproduction of the 1980 silver dollar design by Canadian artist/engraver D.D. Paterson and features a polar bear in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. The obverse features the historic effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Arnold Machin.
The silver dollar issued in 1980 was one of the first Canadian coins to feature a polar bear on its reverse. It certainly wouldn’t be the last: Ursus maritimus has been a fixture on Canada’s $2 circulation coin since 1996, and it is frequently featured on our numismatic coins – it even appeared on a square-shaped coin in 2010.
Two-thirds of the world’s polar bears are found in Canada and some of the largest populations reside along the northwest coast of Baffin Island, the largest of the Arctic islands (it’s also the fifth largest island in the world).
Item Number: 178769
Composition: 99.99% fine silver
Weight*: 62.69 g
Diameter: 50 mm
Face Value: $1
Artist: D.D. Paterson (reverse), Arnold Machin (obverse)
• Exclusive: This tribute to an iconic proof dollar is a Masters Club exclusive!
• Higher purity level: This 2 oz. coin is crafted from 99.99% pure silver – a higher purity level than the original coin issued in 1980.
• Gold plating: Selective gold plating highlights the design focal points and rim on both the reverse and obverse.
• A best-selling series: Every coin in the Renewed Silver Dollar series has sold out:
Coin #1: 2015 - Voyageur (1935)
• History on a historic coin: The year 2020 marks the 140th anniversary of the transfer of the Arctic Islands from Great Britain to the Dominion of Canada. This commemorative piece highlights the anniversary by revisiting the 1980 centennial.
Coin #2: 2016 - Library of Parliament (1976)
Coin #3: 2017 - Royal Visit/Parliament Building (1939)
Coin #4: 2018 - The National War Memorial (1994)
Coin #5: 2019 - Peacekeeping (1995)
Coin #6: 2020 – Arctic Territories Centennial (1980)
• Historic effigy: Just like the 1980 issue, this coin’s obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Arnold Machin.
• Low mintage: Mintage is set to 2,500 coins, which will make this a highly sought-after collectible.
Ready for display in a limited-edition wooden case, your coin comes packaged in a gorgeous Masters Club beauty box.