2020-2021 $3 Floral Emblems of Canada Complete 13-coin Set (No Tax)
The maple leaf is Canada’s most famous botanical icon–it’s the popular image that represents the nation–but every province and territory also has its own official floral emblem. These 13 flowering symbols are the featured stars of our new Floral Emblems of Canada series. Styled like vintage silver jewellery, each coin highlights the diverse beauty of the floral emblems that grow in Canada, beginning with Ontario’s white trillium.
Outside of provincial parks and conservation areas, it’s not illegal to pick white trilliums in Ontario. But it’s not a good idea, either: you could seriously injure the plant and it can take years for it to produce another flower.
The spring-blooming trillium prefers well-drained soil and semi-shade growing conditions. In Ontario’s forests, you might spot it at the base of a beech or sugar maple tree.
A botanical work from 1760 referred to the trillium as “the herb True Love of Canada.”
Ants play a big role in dispersing trillium seeds. Half the seed is covered by an oily appendage known as elaiosome, which attracts hungry ants. They remove the seeds to carry them back to the nest, where they feast on the protein-rich elaiosome. The discarded seeds germinate in the tunnels and become a new plant.
In addition to the white trillium, four other trillium species are native to Ontario: red trillium, painted trillium, nodding trillium, and the endangered drooping trillium.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Lisa Thomson-Khan features a colour portrait of the official floral emblem of Ontario, the white trillium (Trillium grandiflorum), surrounded by a stylized floral pattern. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Item Number: 177116
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 7.96 g (per coin)
Diameter: 27 mm
Face Value: $3
Finish: Reverse Proof
Artist: Lisa Thomson-Khan
• Complete Set! Collect all of Canada’s provincial and territorial floral emblems with this 13-coin series! It’s the only series in 2020 and 2021 to feature Canada’s unique flora at an affordable price. Included in the collector case is each released coin:
• A Vintage Style: Each coin’s proof finish gives it the look of vintage silver jewellery. This perfectly complements the colour portraits at the centre of our floral-themed celebration of Canada.
- Ontario: Trillium
- Quebec: Blue Flag Iris
- Nova Scotia: Mayflower
- New Brunswick: Purple Violet
- Manitoba: Purple Crocus
- British Columbia: Pacific Dogwood
- Prince Edward Island: Lady's Slipper
- Saskatchewan: Western Red Lily
- Alberta: Wild Rose
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Pitcher Plant
- Northwest Territories: Mountain Avens
- Yukon: Fireweed
- Nunavut: Purple Saxifrage
• A great gift or new addition! These beautiful coins make a great Canadian gift and they’re the perfect addition to any Canadiana-themed collection.
The coins come encapsulated and presented in a special collector case.