2024 $20 Celebrating Canada's Diversity: Transcendence and Tranquility Fine Silver (No Tax)
Own this silver with simulated turquoise celebration of Iranian heritage from today to those of Ancient Persia and beyond.
Canadians of Iranian heritage can proudly lay claim to a rich tapestry of history, culture, literature and artistic traditions that encompass a wide range of disciplines – from architecture to weaving and metalwork, and so much more.
Available in 99.99% pure silver for the first time, the Royal Canadian Mint’s 2024 Celebrating Canada’s Diversity coin incorporates design elements that reflect Iranian cultural traditions, spanning Ancient Persia to contemporary interpretation by an Iranian-Canadian artist, represented by Eslimi patterns and Shah Abbasi flower motifs from traditional carpet designs, lotus flowers inspired by the reliefs of Persepolis, stylized maple leaves symbolizing Canadian identity, and a paisley motif in the centre. These elements come together to surround the simulated turquoise on the coin’s reverse, where the balanced symmetry and circular symbolism are meant to inspire, to urge us to transcend our perceived limits, and to find inner peace and tranquility.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Soheila Esfahani features simulated turquoise surrounded by engraved patterns that celebrate the cultural heritage of Iranian Canadians from today to those of Ancient Persia and beyond. While a paisley motif surrounds the centrepiece, a repeating maple leaf (symbolizing Canadian identity) and lotus flower (inspired by the reliefs of Persepolis) form a continuous circular pattern that also incorporates a Shah Abbasi floral motif and Eslimi patterns from traditional carpet designs. The obverse features a background pattern of the Persepolis lotus flowers, and the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. The obverse also bears a special marking that includes four pearls symbolizing the four effigies that have graced Canadian coins throughout the reign of the Queen, as well as the double dates of her reign.
RCM Number: 245342
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 31.39 g
Diameter: 38 mm
Face Value: $20
Artist: Soheila Esfahani (reverse), Susannah Blunt (obverse)
- A celebration of Iranian culture. This 99.99% pure silver coin proudly celebrates the rich cultural heritage and history of Iranian Canadians.
- New for 2024: A fine silver version. Typically minted in 99.99% pure gold, Celebrating Canada’s Diversity is in an annual series that highlights the cultural and historical diversity of Canadian society. For 2024, we’re introducing a 99.99% pure silver version, which shares a similar design (and proof finish) as its gold counterpart.
- Turquoise centrepiece. Turquoise figures prominently in Iranian art and architecture, and this is represented by the ornamental stone on your coin’s reverse. The use of simulated turquoise makes this a more affordable alternative to the pure gold coin, which features a genuine turquoise stone.
- Rich symbolism. The engraved design features an elaborate mix of various important cultural symbols representing Iranian Canadians from today to those of Ancient Persia and beyond, including motifs inspired by traditional carpet designs.
- Obverse pattern. The Persepolis lotus flowers from your coin’s reverse repeat on the obverse, where these engraved elements form a captivating background pattern.
- A dazzling addition to your collection. Mintage is limited to 5,500 coins worldwide.
The coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a beauty box.