2023 Canada $30 The Striking Bald Eagle Fine Silver (No Tax)
At once graceful and formidable, the bald eagle is easily one of the most visually striking birds. Its dignified appearance, whether in flight or at rest, never fails to inspire awe—as it does in this 2 oz. 99.99% pure silver portrait. Generously (50 mm) sized to allow ample details, the coin’s reverse captures a picture-perfect moment in the wild and shows a bald eagle pair mere seconds after landing on a pine bough.
Despite its name, a bald eagle isn’t bald at all—its head is covered in white feathers. The “bald” part of its name comes from “piebald,” which derives from the Latin word pica (“magpie”) and the old English word “bald,” meaning “marked with white.”
The bald eagle is the only eagle that is exclusively found in North America. In Canada, most of our bald eagles reside along the coast of British Columbia—they primarily eat fish so they tend to live near bodies of water—but you’ll also find populations in boreal forests across the country.
Designed by Canadian wildlife artist Claudio D’Angelo, your coin’s reverse features a portrait of two bald eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) on a pine bough. These majestic raptors are positioned in a way that best showcases their features and also implies motion, with the perched eagle holding its wings outward while gazing at its companion, while the newly landed eagle tries to secure its grip. The obverse features a field pattern and the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. The obverse also bears a special marking that includes four pearls symbolizing the four effigies that have graced Canadian coins and the double date of her reign.
Item Number: 207805
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 62.69 g
Diameter: 50 mm
Face Value: $30
Artist: Claudio D'Angelo (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
• An inspiring portrait. The follow-up to 2022’s The Mighty Bison, the coin’s reverse captures a rare moment in the wild, where the sight of not one but two bald eagles evokes a sense of awe and admiration.
• Superbly sculpted. This 2 oz. 99.99% fine silver coin features a classic design style and a wealth of classically engraved details that reward repeat viewings.
• A strong, compelling design. Features a strong, balanced visual concept that implies a circular motion through the positioning of the eagles, while the curved tree branch helps to ground the design.
• A mix of frostings. Multiple frostings add a sense of depth and create a striking contrast between the different design elements, resulting in a more realistic portrait of a bald eagle pair.
• 2 oz. of the finest silver! The coin is crafted in a 2 oz. of 99.99% pure silver and features a 50 mm diameter that provides ample space for finely engraved details. Also available in 1 oz. 99.99% pure gold (new for 2023).
• Low mintage. Only 4,500 coins are available to collectors worldwide. A great addition to any silver or wildlife-themed collection!
The coin comes encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint branded clamshell case with black beauty box.
This coin is only available for sale by the Royal Canadian Mint’s direct channels, dealers located in Canada, and an exclusive distribution partner within the United States. Canadian and international dealers may not advertise nor sell this product outside of their territories.