2023 Canada Non-Coloured Honouring Elsie MacGill Special Wrap Roll of 25pcs
Please note that this product carries a heavy shipping charge of $2.00 per roll.
The 2023 $1 commemorative circulation coin celebrates one of the most exceptional and inspiring Canadians of the 20th century: Elsie MacGill (1905-1980), aeronautical engineer and champion of women’s rights. MacGill’s accomplishments and desire to uplift others were driven by her unrelenting belief that we can all soar higher. Inside each Special Wrap Roll are 25 engraved-only (no colour) versions of the special-themed $1 coin, and all of them share the same reverse design that pays tribute to the exceptional Canadian once dubbed “Queen of the Hurricanes,” whose life story and achievements continue to inspire.
Each Special Wrap Roll contains 25 engraved only Honouring Elsie MacGill coins.
A 1942 issue of True Comics dubbed her “Queen of the Hurricanes.” As Chief Aeronautical Engineer, Elsie MacGill supervised the engineering work for the Canadian production of more than 1,450 Hawker Hurricanes for the Allied war effort – she even designed a winterized version.
Already Canada’s first practising professional woman engineer, Elsie MacGill became the first woman in North America – and possibly the world – to earn a master’s degree in aeronautical engineering. That same year (1929), she contracted polio and was told she would never walk again, but she defied expectations by learning to walk with the support of canes.
Designed by artist Claire Watson, the $1 coin’s reverse features a portrait of Elsie MacGill (1905-1980), an aeronautical pathbreaker and champion of women’s rights, indicated by the lapel pin she wears representing her tenures as provincial (Ontario) and national presidents of the Canadian Federation of Business and Professional Women’s Clubs. The sky backdrop highlights some of MacGill’s historic engineering achievements, including the Maple Leaf Trainer II (top) – the first aircraft to be produced and designed by a woman – and her key role in the wartime production of Hawker Hurricanes, which is highlighted on the colourized coin. The obverse features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. The obverse also bears a special marking that includes four pearls symbolizing the four effigies that have graced Canadian coins and the double date of her reign.
Item Number: 208159
Mintage: 10,000 Rolls of $1 coins
Composition: Three-ply brass finish plated steel
Weight: 6.27g (per coin)
Diameter: 26.5 mm (per coin)
Face Value: $1 (per coin)
Artist: Claire Watson (obverse), Susannah Blunt (reverse)
• Make the inspirational story of Elsie MacGill a part of your collection! The 2023 $1 Honouring Elsie MacGill coin honours an extraordinary Canadian whose life and achievements are among the most exceptional and noteworthy Canadian stories of the 20th century.
• Collect Canadian Coins by the roll! Each (Non-Colourized) Special Wrap Roll contains 25 engraved only $1 Honouring Elsie MacGill coins, which come in a custom paper wrap inspired by the coins’ reverse design.
• Features the traditional effigy! The 2023 Honouring Elsie MacGill coin is one of the few 2023-dated circulation coins to feature the transitional effigy and be destined for general circulation.
• All are uncirculated coins! Inside each Special Wrap Roll, all 25 coins are uncirculated – they all have a newly minted quality.
• Get both rolls! The Honouring Elsie MacGill $1 coins are also available in colour! Complete your collection today!
• Limited supply. Only 10,000 rolls are available.
The roll of coins is wrapped in a special colourful paper wrapping.