2023 Canada The Celestial Circle Fine Silver Puzzle Coin Set (No Tax)
Celebrate interconnectedness through this Ts’msyen celestial circle.
The celestial circle permeates all aspects of life on the Northwest Coast, home to the Ts’msyen peoples. Human beings are inextricably linked to nature, its cycles and patterns mirrored in the heavens and depicted across the eight pieces that form this 99.99% pure silver puzzle coin set. Rendered in a Ts’msyen art style, this matte black and fully gold-plated celestial circle illustrates the intersections between humanity and the natural world, where dualities and contrasts form a beautiful, balanced whole.
The Ts’msyen follow a matrilineal kinship system and families are organized into four clans, each represented by a crest: Eagle, Orca (or Killer Whale), Raven and Wolf. These animals are also symbolically represented in this puzzle coin set.
Designed by Ts’msyen artist Morgan Asoyuf, the assembled puzzle pieces depict the cycle of the heavens and the variety of life it supports on the Northwest Coast.
The story begins in the first puzzle-shaped piece located above the centrepiece, where the salmon egg represents the lifecycle of a species that is an integral part of the Ts’msyen traditional way of life. Moving clockwise, the second puzzle piece depicts Mousewoman, known for protecting youth, and a whale fin symbolizing another important species on the Northwest Coast. The third puzzle piece pairs an ovoid – a defining feature of Northwest Coast art – with Raven’s wing. The fourth piece depicts orca’s fin with a salmon egg, as a representation of the coastal ecosystem. The fifth puzzle piece shows the face of an ancestor inside the claw of the nocturnal wolf; the pairing reflects the connection between humans and animals, preserved through the familial crest system. The sixth puzzle piece speaks to the protection of children and depicts Mousewoman within eagle’s wing. The final puzzle piece features a human face that simultaneously represents ancestors and the descendants still to come – a reminder of one’s responsibilities to the land, and to preserving the traditional way of life.
At the centre of it all, the large face is both the moon and sun, which interact with all beings; the matte black portions represent moon shadows and tides, while the radial lines represent sunrays.
Each coin’s obverse features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. The obverse also bears a special marking that includes four pearls symbolizing the four effigies that have graced Canadian coins and the double date of her reign.
Item Number: 208334
Composition: 99.99% pure silver with gold plating
Weight: 296 g
Diameter: 111.3 mm
Face Value: Centre Coin: $50, Puzzle Pieces: $20
Artist: Morgan Asoyuf (reverse), Susannah Blunt (obverse)
• A celebration of Northwest Coast art and culture. Discover and celebrate Ts’msyen culture through this intricately designed puzzle coin set that tells the story of the celestial circle.
• New size! Instead of 14 pieces, the 2023 Puzzle Coin Set features seven (7) puzzle pieces and one large centrepiece, for a total of eight coins in one set. This allows for more artistic details to be featured on each individual puzzle piece.
• Fully gold-plated. Each coin is crafted in 99.99% pure silver but fully gold-plated in order to represent the golden rays of sunlight, while a selective application of black paint provides a day-and-night contrast and emphasizes the formlines that are characteristic of Northwest Coast art.
• Powerful storytelling. Each puzzle coin is part of a bigger story that has been shared by generations and reflects the Ts’msyen view of the interconnectedness of life.
• Symbolic field pattern. Each obverse features a wood-like field pattern to represent another Northwest Coast art tradition: wood carvings.
• Only 1,000 sets! Mintage is exceedingly low – only 1,000 sets are available to collectors worldwide, and previous puzzle coin sets have always sold out quickly.
• Includes mini booklet. Each 2023 Puzzle Coin Set comes with a mini booklet that describes the design elements on each puzzle piece.
The puzzle coin set comes encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded wood case with a black beauty box.