2023 Canada $50 Maple Leaves in Motion Fine Silver Coin (No Tax)
The most widely recognized symbol of Canada, the maple leaf continues to be a powerful representation of our proudest achievements and key milestones. On this 5 oz. fine silver coin, three maple leaves—one for each decade of the Silver Maple Leaf’s (SML) 35-year reign as one of the most sought-after bullion coins—have been rendered in Ultra High Relief (UHR). The extra relief height adds outstanding depth to the design and sends the sculpted leaves soaring above the background pattern, which dances and pulsates with pride whenever it catches the light.
Pulsating with pride for Canada’s SML: See how these UHR maple leaves “pop” against a background that dances in the light.
The Silver Maple Leaf (SML) bullion coin is minted in 1 oz. of 99.99% pure (.9999 fine) silver, which makes it one of the world’s purest silver coins. Unchanged since the first SML was issued in 1988, the bullion coin’s signature leaf comes from the sugar maple (Acer saccharum) tree, one of 10 maple species native to Canada and the one highlighted on this 5 oz. numismatic tribute.
Designed by Canadian artist Nathalie Lagacé, the coin’s reverse features a finely detailed arrangement of three sugar maple (Acer saccharum) leaves engraved in Ultra High Relief (UHR) and backed by a pulsating pattern. The reverse is double dated (“1988-2023”) to commemorate the 35th anniversary of Canada’s Silver Maple Leaf (SML) bullion coin. A magnified view of the pulsating pattern is engraved on the coin’s (non-pulsating) obverse, which features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. The obverse also bears a special marking that includes four pearls symbolizing the four effigies that have graced Canadian coins and the double date of her reign.
Item Number: 205815
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 157.6 g
Diameter: 65.25 mm
Face Value: $50
Artist: Nathalie Lagacé (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
• A Silver Maple Leaf Celebration! The 2023 Maple Leaves in Motion coin pulsates with pride for Canada’s Silver Maple Leaf (SML) bullion coin on its 35th anniversary (“1988-2023”)!
• Ultra High Relief! On the coin's reverse, the three maple leaves are engraved in Ultra High Relief (UHR), which lifts them to greater heights and truly makes them “pop” against the pulsating background.
• Pulsating technology! The pulsating pattern on the coin's reverse adds an expression of joy to the coin’s reverse, where the background dances in the light whenever the coin is tilted. This optical effect is produced by an array of sub-millimetre-scale mirrors, which have been micro-engineered and precisely engraved to reflect light in a way that creates the illusion of motion.
• Obverse pattern! A magnified view of the pulsating pattern is engraved on the coin’s (non-pulsating) obverse.
• The Finest Silver! Each coin has been masterfully crafted in 5 oz. of 99.99% pure silver.
• Previous coins sold out! Only 2,000 coins are available to collectors worldwide.
The coin is encapsulated and carefully enclosed in a red-lacquered, Royal Canadian Mint-branded wood case that comes packaged in a black beauty box.