2023 Canada $200 Great Hunters: Grizzly Bear UHR Pure Gold (No Tax)
Few North American species are as revered as the enigmatic grizzly bear. A long-time symbol of strength and of our wild spaces, Ursus arctos horribilis has the reputation of being a skilled hunter, a resourceful scavenger and a fiercely protective mother. Grizzly bears prefer to remain out of sight in Canada’s western forests and Arctic tundra, but when it does come into view, this strong and intelligent creature instantly commands all our attention and respect — especially when its likeness is captured in Ultra High Relief (UHR) and in 99.99% pure gold, as seen on this coin.
A grizzly bear’s keen sense of smell helps it identify a food source, and it is able to sprint quickly over short distances. If you see a grizzly bear in the wild, it’s best to give it plenty of space — in doing so, you’ll be helping to preserve this wilderness icon that is an important part of Canada’s natural heritage.
Designed by artist Emily Damstra, the coin’s reverse invites you to step into the boreal forest of Western Canada, where the grizzly bear (Ursus arctos horribilis) reigns supreme. The low perspective, combined with Ultra High Relief (UHR), emphasizes the grizzly bear’s imposing size and appearance. Standing on a rock outcrop or cliff and surrounded by towering conifers, the elusive grizzly has perceived a threat as it looks down from its perch, the bear has raised its paw as if to strike and has a fierce expression on its face. The obverse features a maple leaf pattern behind the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. The obverse also bears a special marking that includes four pearls symbolizing the four effigies that have graced Canadian coins and the double date of her reign.
Item Number: 208838
Composition: 99.99% pure gold
Diameter: 30 mm
Face Value: $200
Edge: Interrupted Serrations
Artist: Emily Damstra (reverse), Susannah Blunt (obverse)
• Stunning Ultra High Relief (UHR). Ultra High Relief brings outstanding height and depth to the meticulously engraved portrait of the grizzly bear, which stands out against the forest backdrop.
• A more expansive UHR view than ever before. The coin presents a full-body view with multi-level relief heights using the Royal Canadian Mint's most innovative UHR minting relief technique to date.
• View a great hunter in its Canadian habitat. Powerful and solitary, the grizzly bear has long typified the Canadian wilderness; on this coin’s reverse, it serves as a commanding example of strength.
• View a great hunter in its Canadian habitat! The artistry doesn’t end at the engraving: multiple frostings alter the way the light reflects off the different design elements, creating a more realistic rendering of both the grizzly bear and its surroundings.
• That pure gold shine! The coin is 99.99% pure gold and features a luminous proof finish.
• Low mintage! Mintage is limited to 575 coins worldwide.
• An Emily Damstra original. The coin's reverse was designed by Emily Damstra, the award-winning artist who has created many coin designs for the Royal Canadian Mint and the United States Mint, including the American Silver Eagle Type 2 coin.
The coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.
Restrictions: This coin is only available for sale by the Royal Canadian Mint’s direct channels, dealers located in Canada, and exclusive distribution partners within the United States and Asia. Canadian and international dealers may not advertise nor sell this product outside of their territories.