2023 Canada $2 Coloured 100th Anniversary of the Birth of Jean Paul Riopelle Special Wrap Roll of 25pcs
Please note that there is a heavy shipping charge for this roll of $2.00 per roll.
One of the most globally revered Canadian artists of the 20th century, Jean Paul Riopelle (1923-2002) used his art to push boundaries and command the attention of critics and art lovers worldwide. One of his masterpieces, L’Hommage à Rosa Luxemburg, is highlighted on the $2 commemorative circulation coin that celebrates the 100th anniversary of his birth (1923-2023). Each Colourized Special Wrap Roll contains 25 $2 coins, all bearing a selectively coloured reverse, which captures the spirit of both the original art and the artistic genius behind it.
Though he is widely known for his abstract mosaics, Jean Paul Riopelle worked with a variety of mediums throughout his career. His L’Hommage à Rosa Luxemburg features spray-painted silhouettes– including the emblematic birds seen on this coin – that form symbolic representations of the life he shared with his former companion.
On the $2 coin’s reverse, the inner core adapts select elements of Panel 29 of L’Hommage à Rosa Luxemburg by Jean Paul Riopelle, while the outer ring bears the “Riopelle100” centenary mark (courtesy of the Riopelle Foundation). The obverse features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. The obverse also bears a special marking that includes four pearls symbolizing the four effigies that have graced Canadian coins and the double date of her reign.
RCM Number: 208111
Composition: Outer ring: Three-ply nickel-plated steel; Inner core: Three-ply brass-plated aluminum bronze
Weight: 6.99 g (per coin)
Diameter: 28 mm (per coin)
Face Value: $2 (per coin)
Edge: Interrupted serrations
Artist: Jean Paul Riopelle (reverse), Susannah Blunt (obverse)
• Add the Mint’s adaptation of Riopelle’s L’Hommage à Rosa Luxemburg to your collection. The 2023 $2 100th Anniversary of the Birth of Jean Paul Riopelle coin celebrates the life and legacy of Jean Paul Riopelle (1923-2002), one of the most globally revered Canadian artists of the 20th century.
• Collect Canada’s commemorative circulation coins by the roll. Each Colourized Special Wrap Roll contains 25 selectively coloured $2 100th Anniversary of the Birth of Jean Paul Riopelle commemorative circulation coins. They come bundled in a custom-designed paper wrap that complements the reverse design.
• The 25 coins in each roll are selectively coloured. On every coin’s reverse, the inner core poignantly re-creates elements of Riopelle’s L’Hommage à Rosa Luxemburg.
• Features the transitional effigy. The 2023 100th Anniversary of the Birth of Jean Paul Riopelle coin is one of the few 2023-dated circulation coins to feature the transitional effigy and be destined for general circulation.
• Uncirculated. Inside each Special Wrap Roll, all 25 coins are uncirculated – they all have a newly minted quality.
• Limited supply. Only 15,000 rolls are available.
• Get both versions. This is for a Special Wrap Roll of 25 colourized commemorative $2 coins. Get a complete set by purchasing a Special Wrap Roll of non-colourized $2 coins (available separately).
The roll comes wrapped in Royal Canadian Mint branded special paper.
The ‘Riopelle100’ mark, created by Raphaël Melançon, appears on the coin courtesy of the Riopelle Foundation, in collaboration with which the coin was created.
Panel 29 of
L’Hommage à Rosa Luxemburg, 1992, acrylic and spray paint on canvas. Triptych, 1.55 m in height x 40.39 m in length. © Estate of Jean Paul Riopelle / Copyright Visual Arts - CARCC (2023).