2022 Canada The Imperial State Crown Special Edition Proof Silver Dollar (No Tax)
“The Crown represents the basic political ideals which all Canadians share. It stands for the idea that individual people matter more than theories; that we are all subject to the rule of law. These ideals are guaranteed by a common loyalty, through the Sovereign, to community and country.” - Queen Elizabeth II
Crafted in 99.99% pure silver, this selectively gold-plated dollar features a design that pays homage to Queen Elizabeth II; to her decades-long reign; and to her unwavering commitment to her role as the embodiment of the Crown.
While St. Edward’s Crown is only ever used for the coronation, the Imperial State Crown (or Crown of State) is worn on formal occasions, such as the State Opening of (British) Parliament.
The State Crown has been replaced 10 times since the Restoration in 1660. The one depicted on this coin was made for the coronation of King George VI in 1937; it is a replica of the crown designed for Queen Elizabeth II’s great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, in 1838.
Enhanced with gold plating, the reverse design by Canadian artist François Guitard features the Imperial State Crown carried on a cushion and framed by maple leaves and roses that represent the reign of Queen Elizabeth II. A Queen Elizabeth rose and a maple leaf also appear at the edges of a banner that bears the face value, “1 DOLLAR”, while “CANADA” is inscribed at the top.
Double dated to commemorate the historic reign of Queen Elizabeth II, the tribute obverse is marked by a Tudor rose and features the four effigies that have appeared on Canadian coins since 1953 (left to right): the 2003-2022 effigy by Susanna Blunt; the 1990-2002 effigy by Dora de Pédery-Hunt; the 1965-1989 effigy by Arnold Machin; and the 1953-1964 effigy by Mary Gillick.
Item Number: 202148
Composition: 99.99% pure silver with selective gold plating
Weight: 23.17 g
Face Value: $1
Artist: François Guitard
• A historic moment. This Special Edition Proof Silver Dollar is a heartfelt tribute to Queen Elizabeth II, the longest-reigning monarch in modern Canadian history.
• Pure Silver! This coin has been expertly crafted in 99.99% pure silver with a proof finish that emphasizes the engraving.
• Tribute Obverse! Marked by a small Tudor rose, the tribute obverse combines the four different effigies that have graced Canadian coins since 1953. The obverse is only featured on the numismatic coins that are part of the Queen Elizabeth II’s Reign collection.
• A Nation Remembers: As part of a historic collection, the coin comes packaged in a special graphic beauty box.
• Limited Mintage! This coin is limited to just 15,000 coins worldwide.
The coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a graphic beauty box.