2022 Canada $20 The Imperial State Crown Fine Silver Coin
Strict limit of 2 per customer.
A symbol of Queen Elizabeth II and her extraordinary reign, the royal cypher on the coin’s reverse is framed by an artistic interpretation of the Imperial State Crown, complete with colourful glass stones and four crystals that tie into the coin’s obverse. The Imperial State Crown is one of the most iconic pieces of royal regalia known as the Crown Jewels. This was the crown worn by Queen Elizabeth II upon leaving Westminster Abbey after her coronation in 1953; and in the many years that followed, it was the one that represented both her authority as Head of State and the grace with which she reigned.
While St. Edward’s Crown is only ever used for the coronation, the Imperial State Crown (or Crown of State) is worn on formal occasions, such as the State Opening of (British) Parliament.
The State Crown has been replaced 10 times since the Restoration in 1660. The one depicted on this coin was made for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II’s father, King George VI, in 1937; it is a replica of the crown designed for Queen Elizabeth II’s great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, in 1838.
The coin’s reverse features the Royal Cypher of Queen Elizabeth II surrounded by an artistic representation of the Imperial State Crown, as viewed from above. An arrangement of 16 blue and green glass stones stand in for the array of precious stones that adorn the crown, while the reverse includes four crystals—one for each of the effigies that have graced Canada’s coins since 1953. Double dated to commemorate Queen Elizabeth II’s historic reign, the tribute obverse is marked by a Tudor rose and features the four historic effigies of Queen Elizabeth II (left to right): the 2003-2022 effigy by Susanna Blunt; the 1990-2002 effigy by Dora de Pédery-Hunt; the 1965-1989 effigy by Arnold Machin; and the 1953-1964 effigy by Mary Gillick.
RCM Number: 207911
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 31.39 g
Diameter: 38 mm
Face Value: $20
Finish: Matte Proof
Artist: Cecily Mok
• 1oz. Fine Silver. Complete the Queen Elizabeth II's Reign with this elegant 99.99% pure silver tribute. Its design was inspired by the crown frequently worn by
Queen Elizabeth II during her long reign.
• Glass stones. On the coin’s reverse, the artistic interpretation of the Imperial State Crown is enhanced with 16 blue and green glass stones that add colour. They also represent some of the historic jewels that famously adorn the crown, as well as those from Queen Elizabeth II’s jewellery collection.
• Crystals: The reverse also features four crystals—one for each of the effigies that have graced Canada’s circulation coins since 1953.
• An emblematic crown. Two of the world’s most famous crowns are represented in this design: the Imperial State Crown, worn on formal occasions as an expression of authority and tradition; and St. Edward’s Crown, the coronation crown, which is included in the Royal Cypher.
• The Symbol of a Reign. Included on the coin’s reverse, Queen Elizabeth II’s personal identifier, the Royal Cypher, served as a symbol of Canada’s sovereignty and its sovereign for 70 years.
• Tribute Obverse. Marked by a small Tudor rose, the tribute obverse combines the four different effigies that have graced Canadian coins since Queen Elizabeth II ’s coronation in 1953. This obverse is only featured on the numismatic coins in the Queen Elizabeth II’s Reign collection.
• A nation remembers. Every numismatic coin in the Queen Elizabeth II’s Reign collection comes packaged with a special beauty box.
• Low Mintage. Only 8,000 coins are available to collectors worldwide.
The coin comes encapsulated and presented in a black clamshell case with a commemorative beauty box.