2022 Canada $20 A Sense of Duty, A Life of Service Fine Silver (No Tax)
“There is a motto which has been borne by many of my ancestors—a noble motto, “I serve.” . . . I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.”
– Queen Elizabeth II, April 21, 1947
Steadfast, constant and true—these are the traits that defined the reign of Queen Elizabeth II. A model of duty and dignity, Queen Elizabeth II never wavered in her resolve. She pledged to dedicate her life to service, to country and the Commonwealth, at the age of 21 and again on her coronation day in 1953. And she solemnly kept that promise throughout her extraordinary reign.
This 1 oz. fine silver coin is a heartfelt tribute to Queen Elizabeth II. Through a mix of elements that represent tradition and history, the coin honours Queen Elizabeth II’s 70 years of service to Canada and the Commonwealth.
“I have in sincerity pledged myself to your service, as so many of you are pledged to mine. Throughout all my life and with all my heart I shall strive to be worthy of your trust.”
– Queen Elizabeth II, June 2, 1953
Queen Elizabeth II served as Patron to 36 charities and organizations in Canada. She also served as either Colonel-in-Chief, Captain General or Air Commodore-in-Chief of several units of the Canadian Armed Forces, and in 2012, was conferred the title of Commissioner in Chief of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).
Designed by Canadian artist Laurie McGaw, the reverse is inspired by the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II wearing the Imperial State Crown on her coronation day (June 2, 1953). This representation of Queen Elizabeth II is flanked by flourishes that combine the floral emblems of Canada (maple leaf) and the United Kingdom (Tudor rose, Scottish thistle, Welsh daffodil and Irish shamrock). Double dated to commemorate Queen Elizabeth II’s historic reign, the tribute obverse is marked by a Tudor rose and features the four effigies of Queen Elizabeth II that have appeared on Canadian coins since 1953 (left to right): the 2003-2022 effigy by Susanna Blunt; the 1990-2002 effigy by Dora de Pédery-Hunt; the 1965-1989 effigy by Arnold Machin; and the 1953-1964 effigy by Mary Gillick.
Item Number: 202273
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 31.39 g
Diameter: 38 mm
Face Value: $20
Artist: Laurie McGaw (reverse)
• Duty first. This 1 oz. 99.99% pure silver coin is a heartfelt tribute to Queen Elizabeth II at the end of a historic reign. Its design honours a legacy of service that dates back to Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation in 1953.
• Entwined Emblems. Canada’s maple leaf is combined with the Tudor rose, the Scottish thistle, the Irish shamrock and the Welsh daffodil to form a floral representation of Canada and the United Kingdom, and all the historic ties and traditions that bind us.
• Tribute obverse: Marked by a small Tudor rose, the tribute obverse combines the four different effigies that have graced Canadian coins since Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation in 1953. This obverse is only featured on the numismatic coins in the Queen Elizabeth II’s Reign collection.
• A nation remembers. Every numismatic coin in the Queen Elizabeth II’s Reign collection comes packaged with a special beauty box.
The coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a graphic beauty box.