2022 Canada $250 Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Diadem Pure Gold Coin
Spectacular yet familiar, the Diamond Diadem is the royal headpiece that has appeared on countless banknotes, stamps and coins since Her Majesty acceded to the throne in 1952. The regal accoutrement has become synonymous with Her Majesty's historic 70-year reign, and for this reason, it is the inspiration for this 99.99% pure gold tiara tribute on the occasion of Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee. The coin's reverse is adorned with seven diamonds, including a yellow one (a first for us) that adds authentic sparkle to the Royal Canadian Mint's artistic representation of the diadem's cross distinctive cross pattée and floral sprays.
The regal Diamond Diadem is also known as the George IV State Diadem because it was originally created for the coronation of King George IV in 1821. It has since been exclusively worn by queens regnant and consort beginning with Queen Adelaide and continuing with Queen Victoria, who designated it an Heirloom of the Crown in 1901. Its silver frame is lined with gold and set with 1,333 brilliant-cut diamonds, including a four-carat yellow brilliant at the centre of the front cross; its narrow band is edged with pearls and surmounted by four crosses pattée and four sprays featuring a rose for England, shamrocks for Ireland and a thistle for Scotland.
Designed by Canadian artist Jori van der Linde, your coin's reverse is adorned with seven genuine diamonds and features an artistic representation of the famous Diamond Diadem worn by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. The platinum-plated motif resembling the diadem's front cross is set with a yellow gold diamond and flanked by floral sprays that combine the emblems of England, Ireland and Scotland. The reverse includes the inscription "CANADA" at the top and "50 DOLLARS" at the bottom. The obverse features the date "2022" and a field pattern behind the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Although Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary wore the Diamond Diadem for family events, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II has mostly worn the Diamond Diadem on State occasions. Since her accession to the throne in 1952, Her Majesty has worn the diadem while travelling to and from the annual State Opening of (United Kingdom) Parliament; it was also worn during the coronation procession in 1953.
Her Majesty can be seen wearing the Diamond Diadem in many official portraits, as well as banknotes, postage stamps and coins: including ours. The diadem can be seen on the obverse of most Canadian coins issued between 1990 and 2002, when they typically featured the effigy by Dora de Pédery-Hunt.
Item Number: 203045
Composition: 99.99% pure gold with diamonds and selective platinum plating
Weight*: 60.08 g
Diameter: 38 mm
Face Value: $250
Artist: Jori van der Linde (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
- The 2022 Gold Tiara Coin! The Royal Canadian Mint saved Her Majesty's most recognizable headpiece for this year's Platinum Jubilee! The dazzling Diamond Diadem (aka the George IV State Diadem) is the inspiration for this 2022 crown-themed tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, as the Queen of Canada marks 70 years on the throne.
- Includes Seven Diamonds! Crafted in 2 oz. of 99.99% pure gold, your coin is enhanced with seven diamonds that add authentic sparkle to the diadem-inspired design. Each stone was individually added using precision tweezers for positioning.
- A yellow diamond! A Mint first! To complete this representation of the Diamond Diadem, the Royal Canadian Mint added a yellow diamond to the centre of the cross pattée - just like the real diadem.
- Platinum plating! The engraved motifs are plated with platinum for extra shine and to create a captivating contrast with the gold.
- Very low mintage! Only 225 coins are available to collectors worldwide. Previous crown/tiara-themed coins sold out quickly, and given the famous headpiece represented on this spectacular collectible, it will likely be a sought-after piece.
Your coin is individually encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded premium wooden case with a black beauty box. It is accompanied by a serialized certificate from the Royal Canadian Mint and an additional certificate confirming the authenticity of the diamonds featured on your coin.