2021 Canada $5 Moments to Hold: Arms of Canada Fine Silver (No Tax)
The Royal Canadian Mint continues their Moments to Hold series with their fourth issue, celebrates the centennial of our most distinguished emblem: The Arms of Canada!
Few symbols or icons carry as much historic and symbolic weight as our armorial bearings, for even on its centennial, Canada’s coat of arms remains a timeless symbol of sovereignty, of tradition. It inspires pride by reminding us of our identity and history wherever the emblem appears, from passports to proclamations, and now, on this fine silver coin.
Since its inception in 1921, the Arms of Canada (which are actually the Queen's Coat of Arms for use in Canada, formally known as the Armorial Bearings of Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada), have been modified three times:
- In 1923, the Government of Canada requested a painting from the College of Arms. This was the design used for governmental purposes until 1957.
- Alan Beddoe, a heraldic designer and artist, re-drew the Arms in 1957 to feature a modified Royal Crown that resembled St. Edward’s Crown, and in the shield, a sprig of red maple leaves.
- The current design was drawn by Cathy Bursey-Sabourin, Fraser Herald at the Canadian Heraldic Authority, and was approved in 1994. It includes an annulus behind the shield bearing the motto of the Order of Canada, Desiderantes Meliorem Patriam (“They desire a better country”).
The Arms of Canada can be seen on nearly every 50-cent coin issued since 1937! The reverse features the current design of the Canada Coat of Arms drawn by Cathy Bursey-Sabourin, Fraser Herald at the Canadian Heraldic Authority. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Item Number: 179736
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight*: 7.96 g
Diameter: 27 mm
Face Value: $5
Finish: Modified specimen
Artist: Cathy Bursey-Sabourin
• Show your pride, Canada, because these are your Moments to Hold in 2021! This set is an easy way to ensure four of the year’s most important commemorative themes are represented in your collection.
• This is Coin #1 of a four-part compilation series that is your essential set for 2021.
• Your coin comes in a colourful and informative folder with a removable coin capsule for easy access – just pop the capsule out of the folder for a closer look at your coin.
• Whether you’re new to coin collecting or want to share your hobby with others, this is a great starting point or gift! It is one of the Royal Canadian Mint's most affordable fine silver coins, and its design will serve as a long-lasting reminder of key moments in 2021.
Custom folder with removable capsule