2021 Canada 100th Anniversary of Bluenose Proof Silver Dollar (No Tax)
Set sail on a year-long celebration of one of the most famous ships in Canadian history! Each coin in the Royal Canadian Mint's 2021 centennial anniversary collection marks a special milestone in the Bluenose story. Together, they honour her journey from design to launch to racing and earning her legacy as a proud symbol of Canada's rich maritime heritage.
The year 2021 marks the 100th anniversary of the launch of Bluenose, the Grand Banks fishing schooner whose racing feats and indomitable spirit earned her the title of "Queen of the North Atlantic."
The first port of call in the Royal Canadian Mint's year-long celebration, the 2021 Fine Silver Proof Dollar turns back the clock to commemorate Canada's sailing ambassador, and the visionary naval architect behind her design. The Bluenose story begins here, born on a drafting table a century ago. And with the mixing of different frosting techniques (flat and traditional), your coin's engraved design simultaneously celebrates William J. Roué's vision and its fulfillment, with the birth of a racing champion.
Designed by Canadian marine artist Yves Bérubé, your coin's reverse travels back in time to see naval architect William James Roué (1879-1970) completing his design for the legendary Bluenose schooner. The first-person perspective is flat frosted to distinguish between Roué's vision and the inspiring sight of Bluenose under full sail. As an added tribute, W.J.Roué's signature is included as it appeared on the original Bluenose sail plan. The obverse features the effigy of King George V by Sir E. B. MacKennal.
Item Number: 200019
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight*: 23.17 g
Diameter: 36.07 mm
Face Value: $1
Artist: Yves Bérubé
• This year's fine silver proof dollar celebrates the 100th anniversary of Bluenose, the world-famous schooner whose racing success made her a beloved Canadian icon.
• Start at the beginning! This proof dollar represents the first chapter of a story that continues on multiple coins in 2021. It's part of a celebration of the Bluenose journey, from design to launch and throughout her racing years, as well as her enduring legacy.
• Artist Yves Bérubé is based in Lunenburg, N.S., where Bluenose was proudly built and launched, and where she called home.
• To strike a contrast between William J. Roué's vision and its fulfillment, the first-person perspective of the design process is flat frosted while the image of the Bluenose under full sail is traditionally engraved frosted. The result is a smooth transition from concept to launch.
• The design includes two personal touches: the signature of naval architect William J. Roué and the ship's name, as it appears on Roué's hand-drawn sail plan of Bluenose.
• Your proof dollar features the historic effigy of George V. This is the obverse that appeared on Canadian coins in 1921, at the time of the launch.
• This is the ship that captured a nation's heart and lifted its spirit! Bluenose is the pride of Nova Scotia and a Canadian icon. It has also been a big part of the Royal Canadian Mint's story since 1937, when it first appeared on the 10-cent circulation coin.
• The newest addition to your collection is crafted in 99.99% pure silver and has a limited mintage of 30,000.
Encapsulated in a Royal Canadian Mint branded clamshell with black beauty box
• ‘Bluenose’ is an official mark adopted and used by the Nova Scotia Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage pursuant to the Trade-marks Act (Canada). It is used by the Royal Canadian Mint with the Department’s permission.
• William James Roué Signature © jeroué. Used with permission.
• Blueprints of 1921 BLUENOSE © jeroué. Used with permission.