2020 Canada $25 Classic Mountie Hat Shaped Fine Silver Coin (No Tax)
The year 2020 brings the 100th anniversary of the renaming of the Royal North West Mounted police to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and was granted federal policing responsibilities. As 2023 quickly approaches, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police will be celebrating 150 years as Canada's national police service. As a salute to the RCMP and to celebrate this monumental occasion, the Royal Canadian Mint has engineered the never-before-seen 3D coin shape: an RCMP Hat. The RCMP Hat became an official part of the uniform in 1904. The 1.5oz 2020 Canada $25 Classic Mountie Hat Shaped Fine Silver Coin also contains another first for the Royal Canadian Mint: the use of brown gold plating to resemble the RCMP Hat's leather band.
This gold-plated coin is a pure silver 3D replica of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police uniform hat. The reverse of this coin is the top view of the hat and its Montana peak crown. To resemble the original RCMP Hat, a special frosting was added beneath the gold plating to create a textured look of felt. The leather band was made by using bronze with a brown gold surface plating technique. The obverse of the coin contains engraving along the broad brim of the hate. An inscription that was include on the brim was the RCMP motto “MAINTIENS LE DROIT” (Defending the Law) and the dates "1920-2020" to mark the 100th anniversary of the organization was renamed the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and took on its federal policing mandate. Other engravings include: the face value, a miniature illustration added “P” mark to indicate the plated nature of the coin, and the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Item Number: 178361
Composition: 99.99% pure silver with gold plating, anf bronze band with brown gold plating
Weight (g): 46.8
Diameter (mm): 52 mm
Face Value: $25
Artist: Susanna Blunt (obverse)
• NEW SHAPE: Designed as a replica of the RCMP uniform hat, this salute to Canada’s national police force features a taller crown and sharper angles than the helmet-shaped 2018 Lest We Forget coin.
• AN ICONIC SYMBOL: the wide-brimmed hat is instantly recognizable and, along with the RCMP’s famous Red Serge tunic, is a world-famous icon that is synonymous with law and order in Canada.
• FIRST-TIME USE OF BROWN GOLD: another first: a special brown gold surface plating technique helps capture the look of the hat’s leather band made out of bronze.
• LOOKS LIKE FELT: On the reverse, special frosting beneath the gold plating mimics the look of felt—just like a real RCMP hat.
• A CANADIAN CELEBRATION: this coin is a salute to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police on the 100th anniversary of the merger of the Royal North-West Mounted Police and the Dominion Police. The merger established the RCMP as Canada’s national police service.
• EXTRA NOD: on the obverse, the brim includes the RCMP motto and the miniature image of an RCMP rider on horseback, as seen on the Royal Canadian Mint’s 2020 2 oz. bullion coin.
Black clamshell with black beauty box.