2012 Canada $20 Maple Leaf Crystal Raindrop Fine Silver
The Sugar Maple
The pride and joy of maple syrup producers in Ontario and Quebec (but present as far east as Nova Scotia and as far south as Georgia), Acer saccharum-the Sugar Maple-is recognized around the world as the source of the sweetest, clearest maple syrup. It takes a great deal of work to produce this tree's sweet golden bounty: one litre (one quart) of syrup requires boiling down 40 litres (10 gallons) of sap.
A large-leafed, long-lived tree that often tops 35 metres (114 feet), the sugar maple can live for 200 years. The shape of its five-lobed leaf is recognizable around the world; a stylized version of its leaf is found at the centre of the Canadian flag.
Autumn in a forest dominated by sugar maples is an extraordinary sight. Intense rainbows of yellow, orange, red, and purple seem to set the countryside aflame in regions where sugar maples grow.
But the leaves and sap are not the only prized features of the Sugar Maple. Sugar Maple wood is exceptionally hard, making it a material of choice for furniture-makers and producers of hardwood flooring, as well as makers of other notable products, including bowling pins and alley floors, basketball courts, baseball bats, violins, guitars, and drums.
Item Number: 118373
Face Value: 20 dollars
Composition: 99.99% pure Silver
Weight (g): 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
- This is the fifth coin in the Royal Canadian Mint's popular series of coloured maple leaves featuring crystal raindrops: collect a forest of beautiful maple leaf specimens.
- All previous coins in this series have sold out.
- This 99.99% pure silver coin is engraved and further enhanced with a colourful leaf design and a Swarovski Element crystal drop.
- Limited mintage, stunning crystal and colour features, beautiful artistic rendering of one of Canada's most important tree families, and the Royal Canadian Mint's exacting standards for purity make this series extremely popular among collectors and nature-lovers alike.
Coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint branded maroon clamshell case lined with a black flock and protected by a black sleeve.
Please note: This product is no longer tax exempt due to modifications to the coin, including (but not limited to):
• Embellishments such as sculptures or moving parts
• Crystals, gemstones or diamonds embedded into the coin
• Sculptures and/or other moving parts
Please see The Royal Canadian Mint's FAQ for more details.