2022 Canada The Platinum Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Special Edition Proof Silver Dollar
When Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II began her reign in 1952, the 25-year-old monarch could not have known the kinds of challenges Canada and the world would face, or how much progress she would witness. In many ways, the Queen of Canada came of age alongside this nation, embracing new and exciting developments, and adjusting to an ever-changing world with grace and dignity. Now, as Canada celebrates the Platinum Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, this special edition proof silver dollar reflects upon the journey of our modern monarch and celebrates her 70 years of service.
Her Majesty succeeded to the throne on February 6, 1952, on the death of her father, King George VI. The 25-year-old princess-turned-Queen was visiting Kenya at the time, making her the first British monarch in more than 200 years to ascend to the throne while abroad.
Her Majesty was crowned on June 2, 1953 at Westminster Abbey, site of every British coronation service since 1066. Her Majesty’s coronation was the first to be televised worldwide and was seen by millions.
On your coin’s reverse, both portraits of Her Majesty feature the George IV State Diadem, which can be seen on the obverse of Canadians coins issued between 1990 and 2002. This crown is most famously associated with Her Majesty, who wore it on Coronation Day and continues to wear it on State occasions, including the State Opening of Parliament.
Designed by artist Neil Hamelin, your proof silver dollar’s reverse features a double portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to mark the historic occasion of her Platinum Jubilee. In the foreground, Her Majesty is presented in three-quarter view and radiates wisdom gained through her 70-year reign. Next to her is a portrait of her younger self in 1952, shortly after her accession to the throne; the ornate frame includes several maple leaves that serve as an additional tribute to the Queen of Canada. The obverse features the date “2022” and the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Item Number: 204322
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight*: 23.17 g
Diameter: 36.07 mm
Face Value: $1
Artist: Neil Hamelin
• A ROYAL ANNIVERSARY! In 2022, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II becomes the first British monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee. Join us in honouring Her Majesty’s dedication to service and her extraordinary 70-year reign as Queen of Canada and Head of the Commonwealth.
• A DOUBLE PORTRAIT! Her Majesty’s historic long reign is beautifully represented by the double portrait reverse, which juxtaposes a portrait of Her Majesty today with one of her younger self in 1952, at the start of her reign.
• FINELY DETAILED DESIGN! While remaining faithful to the artist’s original concept, RCM engravers studied countless portraits of Her Majesty to ensure likeness during the engraving process.
• A HISTORIC CELEBRATION! A must-have for royal enthusiasts and history lovers, this 99.99% pure silver coin will serve as a distinctive historical marker in your collection.
• A LIMITED COLLECTIBLE! Only 25,000 coins are available to collectors worldwide.
The coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.