2022 Canada $30 100th Anniversary of the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair (No Tax)
Celebrate the 100th anniversary of the world’s largest indoor agricultural and equestrian event! Since its first opening day in 1922, the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair has been a place for Canadians to come together for world class competitions, interactive education and inspiring entertainment all in celebration of excellence in agriculture, local food and equine sport. The Royal has exciting experiences for everyone, as illustrated on this 2 oz. fine silver coin.
With a few exceptions, the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair takes place every November in Toronto. It is held on the grounds of Exhibition Place, where the iconic Coliseum was built for the inaugural fair—in fact, the fair’s grand opening was originally planned for 1921 but it was postponed to November 22, 1922 due to construction delays.
The idea of a national agricultural exhibition took shape after the First World War, when a group of farmers came together and formed the Agricultural Winter Fair Association of Canada. In 1920, it received full support from all levels of government and King George V granted permission to include the word “Royal” in the event name.
The Royal Horse Show is held annually as part of the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair. A world-class equestrian competition, it is the final leg of the North American Fall Circuit and typically features a star-studded field of top national and international riders.
On the coin’s reverse, the Art Deco-style design by artist Glen Green highlights some of the sights and events that have made the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair a premier showcase of agricultural and equestrian excellence. An array of livestock (chicken, sheep, cow and horse) and agricultural products surround a rider and horse, as they compete in the Royal Horse Show; behind them, The Royal logo appears on a champion rosette. The reverse includes the word “CANADA” at the top, while at the bottom, the dates “1922·2022” commemorate The Royal’s 100th anniversary. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Item Number: 205244
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight*: 62.69 g
Diameter: 50 mm
Face Value: $30
Artist: Glen Green (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
• One of the big anniversaries in 2022! Celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair! Held annually in Toronto, The Royal is the largest indoor combined agricultural and equestrian event in the world.
• Experience the Royal! The coin’s reverse design highlights some of the exciting experiences to be had at The Royal, Canada’s premier showcase of agricultural products and horsemanship.
• A tribute to the past! On the coin’s reverse, the agriculture-themed tribute has been rendered in an Art Deco style—a nod to The Royal’s inaugural year, 1922!
• Various frosting! Each coin is crafted in 2 oz. 99.99% pure silver. And for maximum visual impact, different frostings have been combined to create a stunning contrast between all the engraved elements, down to the finest detail.
• Share your stories of the Royal! Once you’ve attended The Royal, you’ll want to make it an annual tradition. Re-live your memories through this commemorative coin, which invites you to share your stories of The Royal with friends and loved ones.
The coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.