2022 Canada $20 Celebrating Oscar Peterson Fine Silver Coin (No Tax)
A 99.99% pure silver tribute to a national treasure! One of the greatest pianists, Oscar Peterson (1925-2007) wowed the world with his virtuosity and melodic improvisations. His illustrious career spanned six decades, produced more than 400 recordings, and more than 200 original compositions, including his inspirational Hymn to Freedom. The famous civil rights anthem is beautifully represented on this fine silver salute to its composer, whose joy and love of music were evident in every performance.
Designed by Canadian artist Valentine De Landro, the reverse celebrates the life and legacy of Oscar Peterson (1925-2007), one of the greatest pianists of all time. It features a depiction of the musician seated at his piano, playing his powerful civil rights anthem Hymn to Freedom, while musical notes and chord symbols from that piece also appear in the design. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Take a close look at the coin design—notice the bracelet on Oscar Peterson’s wrist? Peterson was rarely seen without his gold identification bracelet, which was a gift from Fred Astaire after they recorded the 1953 album, The Astaire Story. In addition to his own recordings, Peterson appeared on hundreds of albums by other legendary artists, including Duke Ellington, who referred to him as the “Maharaja of the keyboard.”
Oscar Peterson composed Hymn to Freedom in 1962, and the instrumental song is the last track on his 1963 album, Night Train. After the album’s release, lyrics were added and the song was adopted as an anthem of the civil rights movement in the United States. It continues to be performed by concert bands and choirs worldwide, and in 2009, it was played at former U.S. President Barack Obama’s first inauguration—a testament to the song’s lasting power and emotional resonance.
Item Number: 205296
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 31.39 g
Diameter: 38 mm
Face Value: $20
Artist: Valentine De Landro (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
• Canada Celebrates Oscar Peterson! Piano virtuoso. Jazz legend. Composer, educator and advocate. Celebrate the extraordinary life, work and legacy of Canada’s Oscar Peterson (1925-2007) and his exceptional contributions to Canadian music and culture, as well as his reputation as one of the world’s most respected and influential jazz artists of all time.
• Immortalized in fine silver! The coin’s reverse features a portrait that captures the magic of this Montreal-born pianist, whose joy and love of music were evident every time he played.
• An inspiring anthem! One of his most famous compositions, the inspirational Hymn to Freedom, is represented on the reverse, where the piano-driven call for equality fills the air.
• A 2022 commemoration! Part of the Royal Canadian Mint's 2022 tribute to Oscar Peterson, this 99.99% pure silver collectible is a superb addition to any collection (especially if you love music), and the perfect complement to the 2022 $1 commemorative circulation coin.
• Low mintage! Only 5,000 coins are available to collectors worldwide.
Coin comes encapsulated and presented in a black Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.
“Hymn To Freedom” written by Oscar
Peterson – Tomi Music Company (SOCAN)/ Sony Music Publishing Canada (SOCAN)
All rights reserved. Used by permission.