2021 $3 Floral Emblems of Canada - Yukon: Fireweed Fine Silver (No Tax)
The Floral Emblems of Canada series from the Royal Canadian Mint is a 13-part, floral-themed celebration of Canada that forms a national bouquet within your collection. Styled like vintage silver jewellery, these colourful coins highlight the diverse beauty recognized by each province and territory in their selection of an official floral emblem, which speaks to the array of plant life in Canada.
The twelfth issue in the Floral Emblem series features the fireweed (Chamerion angustifolium), the official floral emblem of the Yukon Territory since 1957.
True to its name, the fireweed is one of the first plants to appear after a forest fire (known as a pioneer species for this reason), when every stem is a welcome sign of nature's resilience. This tall wildflower also thrives along roadsides, riverbanks and in forest clearings, where its abundant flowers set the landscape ablaze with purple and magenta colours that last from July to September. Each of its spikes can have up to 50 flowers, and just one fireweed plant can produce as many as 80,000 silky-haired seeds.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Lisa Thomson-Khan features a stylized floral pattern on the outer ring, while the inner core features a colour portrait of the official floral emblem of Yukon, the fireweed. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Item Number: 177977
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight*: 7.96 g
Diameter: 27 mm
Face Value: $3
Finish: Reverse Proof
Artist: Lisa Thomson-Khan
• A Canadian floral showcase: Collect all of Canada's provincial and territorial floral emblems with this affordable 13-coin series!
• A vintage style: The coin's reverse proof finish gives it the look of vintage silver jewellery. This perfectly complements the colour portraits at the centre of our floral-themed celebration of Canada.
• A history-minded approach: The 13 coins are ordered in the way each province became part of Confederation, followed by each territory.
• Fits in a bezel: The 27 mm diameter allows your coin to fit in a bezel (not included), which will transform your coin into a beautiful pendant necklace.
• A new coin each month: Between March 2020 and March 2021, the Royal Canadian Mint is releasing a new coin in celebration of Canada's floral emblems.
• A great gift or new addition: These beautiful coins make a great Canadian gift and are the perfect addition to any Canadiana-themed collection.
Encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.