2018 Canada $50 Soapstone Sculpture - Polar Bear 5oz. Fine Silver
In a landscape carved by ice and wind, the polar bear remains the unchallenged titan of the Arctic. Its unmistakable profile lends itself beautifully to sculptured works of art - particularly the soapstone piece on the reverse of this 5 oz. pure silver coin, which colourfully conveys the majesty of life in Northern Canada.
Item Number: 160478
Composition: 99.99% pure Silver
Weight (g): 157.6
Diameter (mm): 65.25
Face Value: $50
Artist: Dave Zachary (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
• Introducing an unforgettable coin that pairs a traditional soapstone sculpture with contemporary coin-making techniques!
• Rising up on the reverse, each polar bear sculpture is carefully hand-carved from Canadian soapstone by a Canadian artist Dave Zachary.
• Engraving recreates the rough edges of the ice on the reverse, while translucent colour enamel adds a deep blue hue to the Arctic waters.
• With a 65.25 mm diameter, the coin's surface provides a large base for the soapstone sculpture, while proof-quality 99.99% pure silver mimics the light-reflective nature of the Arctic landscape!
• A dome-like capsule will keep your coin safely protected from the elements.
• With a mintage of just 1,300, your coin is a limited collectible work of art that will draw all eyes toward your collection!
Wooden circular base with black beauty box.
Please note: This product is no longer tax exempt due to modifications to the coin, including (but not limited to):
• Embellishments such as sculptures or moving parts
• Crystals, gemstones or diamonds embedded into the coin
• Sculptures and/or other moving parts
Please see The Royal Canadian Mint's FAQ for more details.