2023 Canada $5 His Majesty King Charles III's Royal Cypher Fine Silver (No Tax)
The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III on May 6, 2023 is a momentous occasion as it marks the first coronation of a new Sovereign of Canada in seven decades. The formal investiture of the monarch’s regal power is a spectacle like no other — one steeped in pomp, pageantry and centuries-old traditions that connect the past and future. Culminating in the religious ceremony held at Westminster Abbey in London (United Kingdom), the Coronation of His Majesty The King is both a solemn and celebratory event that will long be remembered, and it is commemorated through the Royal Cypher appearing on this fine silver keepsake.
The coronation ceremony involves six key rituals: the rite of recognition; the swearing of the coronation oath; the anointing with holy oil; the investiture and crowning (with St. Edward’s Crown); the enthroning; and the homage.
Cyphers have been used by British monarchs since the reign of Henry VIII. For her cypher, Queen Elizabeth II favoured a stylized representation of St. Edward’s Crown—the official coronation crown dating from the coronation of King Charles II in 1661. His Majesty The King’s Royal Cypher features a stylized Tudor Crown, the headpiece used by monarchs until the English Civil Wars (1642-1651) and depicted in the royal cypher of His Majesty’s grandfather, King George VI.
The coin’s reverse design features the Royal Cypher of His Majesty King Charles III. Paired with his regnal number (“III”), the initials “C” and “R” stand for “Charles” and “Rex” (the Latin word for “King”). The stylized crown in His Majesty’s cypher is a representation of the Tudor Crown, which inspired the four gemstone shapes and the engraved pearls that run along the coin’s edge. The obverse features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. The obverse also bears a special marking that includes four pearls symbolizing the four effigies that have graced Canadian coins and the double date of her reign.
Item Number: 208495
Mintage: While supplies last
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 7.96 g
Diameter: 27 mm
Face Value: $5
Finish: Matte Proof
Artist: RCM Engravers
• A coronation keepsake! An extraordinary issue to mark an extraordinary event, this fine silver keepsake commemorates the Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III — the first coronation of Canada’s new monarch in seven decades.
• First appearance of His Majesty's Royal Cypher. His Majesty’s Royal Cypher makes its Canadian numismatic debut on this and other Coronation-themed collectibles from the Royal Canadian Mint. Its appearance on the coin’s reverse signals the start of a new era in Canadian numismatics.
• Ready-to-display packaging! The newest addition to your collection comes packaged in a colourful folder that makes it ready for gifting and presenting. The coin itself is enclosed in a removable capsule that allows easy access to your Coronation keepsake, so you can take a closer look.
• The commemorative packaging is coloured green, which was inspired by the colourful gemstones depicted in the Royal Cypher. It is also a nod to His Majesty’s longstanding commitment and passion for conservation and environmentalism.
• Part of His Majesty King Charles III Coronation suite. His Majesty King Charles III’s Coronation is a significant historical event, and your newest collectible is part of a unique collection of Canadian collector coins specially issued to commemorate the momentous occasion.
• Fine silver! Crafted in ¼ oz. of 99.99% pure silver, this affordable Coronation keepsake is intended for collectors of all ages and collecting interests. It is available while supplies last.
• Matte proof finish. The coin features a unique matte proof finish: the background or field has a satin sheen that contrasts beautifully with the high-shine relief.
• Mark this historic moment! Mark this momentous event, the first coronation in seven decades, with a special collector coin from the Royal Canadian Mint. As part of your collection, this coin will help preserve your memories of this day for years to come.
Each coin is packaged in a colourful gift card folder with a removable coin capsule that allows easy access to your Coronation keepsake.