2022 Canada $5 A Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II Fine Silver (No Tax)
During her long reign, Queen Elizabeth II made 22 official visits to Canada, more times than to any other Commonwealth nation. These travels brought The Queen to every province and territory, where, reunited with her Canadian “family,” she joined in some of our greatest celebrations and milestones.
This fine silver coin commemorates the legacy of Queen Elizabeth II. Surrounded by engraved maple leaves, the coin’s reverse features the colour portrait that was taken during her last Canadian homecoming in 2010.
In this official Canadian portrait, Queen Elizabeth II is shown wearing her Canadian insignia as Sovereign of the Order of Canada and the Order of Military Merit. The Canadian monarch is the “fount of all honour,” the sole person who may grant decorations, medals or an investiture into an order—Canadian honours are presented by the Governor General on behalf of the Sovereign.
The reverse design features a cropped version of the official Canadian portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, who is seen wearing her Canadian insignia as Sovereign of the Order of Canada and the Order of Military Merit. The photograph was taken on July 1, 2010, at Rideau Hall, home of The Queen’s representative in Canada. The colour portrait is paired with the Royal Cypher and surrounded by engraved maple leaves representing Canada. Double-dated to commemorate Queen Elizabeth II’s historic reign, the tribute obverse is marked by a Tudor rose and features the four effigies of Queen Elizabeth II that have appeared on Canadian coins since 1953 (left to right): the 2003-2022 effigy by Susanna Blunt; the 1990-2002 effigy by Dora de Pédery-Hunt; the 1965-1989 effigy by Arnold Machin; and the 1953-1964 effigy by Mary Gillick.
Item Number: 179436
Mintage: While supplies last
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 7.96 g
Diameter: 27 mm
Face Value: $5
Finish: Matte Proof
Artist: RCM Engravers (reverse)
• A tribute to remember. The Royal Canadian Mint's most affordable fine silver tribute to Queen Elizabeth II as her historic reign comes to an end.
• Colour over engraving! The portrait is re-created using a combination of engraving and paint. This has been the image of The Crown since 2010.
• Tribute Obverse! Marked by a small Tudor rose, the tribute obverse combines the four different effigies that have graced Canadian coins since Queen Elizabeth II's coronation in 1953. This obverse is only featured on the numismatic coins in the Queen Elizabeth II's Reign collection.
• Double Dated. The obverse is also double dated to commemorate Queen Elizabeth II’s historic reign and mark this moment.
• Special Packaging! The coin comes in an illustrated gift card folder, which includes a timeline of Queen Elizabeth II’s official visits to Canada during her 70-year reign.
• A uniquely Canadian tribute. In addition to the partial view of Queen Elizabeth II’s Canadian insignia, the reverse includes maple leaves that represent this nation’s special relationship with The Queen.
The coin is encapsulated and packaged in an illustrated gift card folder that includes a timeline of Queen Elizabeth II’s official visits to Canada.