2022 Canada 50-cent The Bigger Picture: The Coat of Arms 5oz. Fine Silver (No Tax)
The Sixth coin in the Royal Canadian Mint's Bigger Picture series! Wherever it appears, the Canada Coat of Arms serve as the tradition-rich emblem of our nation, and that heraldic design lends a certain timelessness and elegance to our most elusive circulation coin. Still, we couldn’t help but wonder: given a larger canvas how could we build on the story told on the 50-cent piece? This is the Bigger Picture featured here, where the 50-cent coin is the centrepiece of an expanded design that represents the composition of Canada, and underscores how the provinces and territories—and their differences—strengthen the nation as a whole.
Of all the Canadian provinces and territories, Nunavut is the only one to feature a circular shield in its armorial bearings. The territorial coat of arms was granted on April 1, 1999—the same day Nunavut became Canada’s newest territory.
The coin’s reverse re-imagines the 50-cent circulation coin’s Canada Coat of Arms design as the centrepiece of an expanded representation of Canada through its heraldic symbols. The national armorial bearings are surrounded by 13 provincial and territorial shields (clockwise, from top): Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, British Columbia, Prince Edward Island, Yukon, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Nunavut. The obverse features a maple leaf pattern and the effigy of Her Majesty
Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Item Number: 204474
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 157.6 g
Diameter: 65.25 mm
Face Value: 50-cent
Artist: 50-cent coin and Extended Background: Cathy Bursey-Sabourin; Obverse: Susanna Blunt
• A creative concept! Pull back and see the bigger picture! This is coin #6 in an inspiring series from the Royal Canadian Mint!
• A new take! They’re Canada’s circulation coins as you’ve never seen them before! Re-created on a 5 oz. 99.99% pure silver coin, each coin design forms the basis for a newly expanded story that puts a fresh spin on a collector favourite.
• Canadian Heraldry! The Coat of Arms design is synonymous with the 50-cent piece, but on this 5 oz. collectible, it shares the spotlight with all 13 provincial and territorial shields to provide a more complete representation Canada through its heraldic symbols.
• A perfect fit! To ensure a smooth integration into the expanded scene, each circulation coin design is engraved only. It’s purely a celebration of some of Canada’s most famous engraved art, sized to fit this expanded canvas and story! (Note: The engraved reproduction is not the same size as the actual circulation coin.)
• 5oz. of Pure Silver! Each of these coins is crafted from five ounces of the world’s finest silver (99.99% pure). That high silver content gives each coin a diameter of 65.25 mm (the same as the Royal Canadian Mint's previous Big Coin series), which provides ample room for elaborate art and complex engraving.
• Field Pattern! Each coin in this series features a maple leaf pattern that fills the field on the obverse.
• Low mintage! An exciting collecting opportunity for those who love Canada’s circulation coins! But hurry – mintage is limited to just 1,300 coins worldwide.
The coin is encapsulated and presented in a premium Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell case with a black beauty box.