2021 Canada $20 Pysanka Fine Silver Coin (No Tax)
Get ready to welcome spring with this fine silver coin. One of the most anticipated releases of the year, the Royal Canadian Mint’s pysanka coins are an annual celebration of the rich cultural heritage of Ukrainian-Canadians. This 99.99% pure silver pysanka coin continues the tradition of combining vibrant colour with fine silver, ancient motifs with modern minting techniques — it’s an egg-shaped work of art!
An egg-shaped symbol of rebirth and renewal, the pysanka is both a cherished cultural expression and a centuries-old rite of spring. Traditional pysanky (the plural of pysanka) featured a more limited colour palette due to the use of natural dyes - typically black, red, yellow, or white. With the advent of modern dyes, colours that were harder to product became more comment. The meaning of each colour and symbol has evolved over time, but on this pysanka coin, layers of art are mixed with 99.99% pure silver to express good will and celebrate a season of new beginnings.
The reverse features an original pysanka design by Canadian artist Dave Wasylyshen. An ancient symbol of sun and fire, beginnings and endings, the cross appears in both ’T’ and ‘X’ form to signify crossroads and the four corners of the world. Other traditional motifs include ribbons to represent eternity/harmony; diamonds, triangles and dots that represent knowledge, wisdom and stars; and ladders and waves that represent prosperity and everlasting life. The colours are also symbolic, with blue representing the sky and good health; red for passion and happiness; and yellow for purity and light. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
What is a Pysanka?
A pysanka is a Ukrainian Easter egg, decorated with traditional Ukrainian folk designs. The word pysanka comes from verb pysaty, which means "to write" or "to inscribe". Designs are traditionally not painted on, but written with beeswax.
Historically, the traditional art of egg decoration probably dates back to the pre-Christian era, however no ancient examples of intact pysanky exist, as eggshells are fragile, but fragments of coloured shells with wax decoration on them have been unearthed during archaeological excavations in Poland.
Item Number: 200705
Composition: 99.99% fine silver
Weight*: 31.82 g
Diameter: 45 mm x 33 mm
Face Value: $20
Edge: Interrupted Serrations
Artist: Dave Wasylyshen
• Celebrate Ukrainian-Canadian culture with this fine silver pysanka coin! Crafted in 1 oz. of 99.99% fine silver, this egg-shaped coin showcases a traditional art form that is colourful and rich in symbolism.
• This is the Royal Canadian Mint's sixth fine silver pysanka coin and all previous ones sold out quickly.
• The colours of a pysanka have meaning, too. The reverse design smoothly transitions between vibrant colours and the unmistakable shine of 99.99% pure silver.
• The 2021 fine silver pysanka is a limited-edition piece with a worldwide mintage of 5,000 coins.
• A great addition to any collection, this special keepsake also makes a great gift for spring celebrations.
Encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.