2021 Canada $50 Great Lakes Tribute Fine Silver
Limit of TWO per customer
A 5oz. silver "to scale" map that celebrates the Great Lakes in colour!
A cartography exclusive! Features a custom map that has been accurately scaled down to an extreme (1:22 000 000) to fit your coin's reverse!
The Great Lakes region is where 8.5 million Canadians live, work and play, and these bodies of water are instantly recognisable on this 5 oz. fine silver coin. All the traditional map features can be found on this coin: borders, roads, urban centres, and even longitude and latitude lines on both sides. For added realism, colour over engraved relief denotes changes in land elevation throughout the Great Lakes region, where the most famous drop occurs at Niagara Falls.
While Lake Huron boasts the longest shoreline, Lake Superior is the largest and deepest of the five Great Lakes—it contains more water than the four others combined. The smallest is Lake Ontario, while the shallowest (and warmest) is Lake Erie.
Designed by artist and Canadian Geographic cartographer, Chris Brackley, your coin's reverse features a magnificent custom map of the Great Lakes region, rendered to a scale of "1:22 000 000". All five lakes (Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie and Ontario) have a luminous silver appearance thanks to a mirror-like (brilliant) finish, while their names appear as frosted elements.
Each colour represents a different land cover: three shades of green to represent different forest types, blue/green represents wetland, pink represents urban space, yellow to represent farmland and lastly red lines indicate roadways.
Beneath the word "CANADA" (right), a compass rose indicates direction, while graticules—lines representing longitude and latitude—are painted on the reverse and laser-engraved on the obverse. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Item Number: 200977
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight*: 157.6 g
Diameter: 65.25 mm
Face Value: $50
Artist: Charles Brackley
• This is the first time a cartographer has created a map exclusively for this tribute coin. But this isn't just any map—it is a true representation of the Great Lakes and surrounding region, scaled down (1:22 000 000) to fit your coin's reverse. An RCM first!
• Colour over engraved relief adds new layers of information. Each colour represents a different land cover: Each colour represents a different land cover: three shades of green to represent different forest types, blue/green represents wetland, pink represents urban space, yellow to represent farmland and lastly red lines indicate roadways.
• While colour fills in the surrounding area, the Great Lakes feature a brilliant finish that amplifies the reflective qualities of 99.99% pure silver. The effect is like sunlight hitting the lake's surface on a summer day!
• The map theme extends to your coin's obverse, where the field is marked by laser-engraved graticules—the network of lines representing longitude and latitude.
• Whether you're looking to rekindle memories of time spent in the Great Lakes region, or to simply indulge in your love of geography, you'll find something new to love each time you view this 5 oz. 99.99% pure silver coin.
The coin comes encapsulated in a black clamshell with black beauty box.