2011 Canada $20 Topaz Crystal Snowflake Fine Silver
Ephemeral Miracle, Frozen in Time
Today we know that snowflakes begin their journey high in the atmosphere as tiny crystals of water vapor frozen around particles of matter. They grow, molecule by molecule, as they tumble through cloud and sky, sculpted by the pressures of wind, moisture, and temperature.
The elegant symmetry of snowflakes reflects the equal exposure of its six arms to consistent fluctuations in temperature and force for consistent periods of time. Because no two flakes follow exactly the same path, and for other reasons, the lore is true: no two snowflakes are exactly alike. Each is a singular work of art, its lifespan measured in moments as it grows, melts, and changes on its journey.
While the truism that no two snowflakes are identical is probably accurate, weather experts do have a system for classifying snow crystals into seven types: plate crystal, stellar crystal, column, needle, spatial dendrite, capped column, and irregular crystals.
Each snow crystal is unique, but snow itself is bountiful: an average snowfall results in about a million snow crystals for every two square feet of ground covered in ten inches of snow. For part of the year, half of the Earth's land and ten percent of its oceans are covered in these dazzling flakes.
Crafted with the greatest care and skill, this truly unique collectible coin is available across Canada-just like its namesake. But this snowflake will not change or fade; it is yours to keep forever.
Item number: 115618 (Topaz)
Face Value: 20 dollars
Composition: 99.99% pure Silver
Weight (g): 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
Finish: Proof embedded Swarovski Elements
- Since its debut in 2007, all coins in the snowflake series have sold out.
- This stunning coin captures the sparkle and allure of one of nature's most transient beauties, freezing it in time for you to enjoy all year round.
- A colored Swarovski Element marks the heart of the gorgeous snowflake design, its six delicate arms studded with clear oblong Swarovski Elements.
- Two spectacular crystal colours available for 2011: Emerald and Topaz.
Coin is encapsulated and presented in a maroon clamshell case lined with flock and protected by a black sleeve.
Please note: This product is no longer tax exempt due to modifications to the coin, including (but not limited to):
• Embellishments such as sculptures or moving parts
• Crystals, gemstones or diamonds embedded into the coin
• Sculptures and/or other moving parts
Please see The Royal Canadian Mint's FAQ for more details.