2010 Canada $20 Tanzanite Crystal Snowflake Fine Silver
More than any other feature, Canada is best known for its snow, that great blanket of white that covers the landscape and influences everyday life across the nation; so much so, that extensive research has been undertaken to understand how this climatic phenomenon works.
Canada's research scientists are known for developing the world's most accurate gauge for recording snowfall and automated sensors that measure snow accumulation and melt on major glaciers and ice sheets. However, most people will agree that snow's most breathtaking aspects have been brought to light by another long-established piece of equipment: the microscope.
The esteemed glass will penetrate the great white expanse and distill a handful of snow down to a perfectly star-shaped snowflake; that iconic symbol that graces everything from winter wools to jewellery and greeting cards. It falls in countless shapes and sizes but always maintains its basic six-sided structure. And while its star-like shape may appear perfectly symmetrical to the naked eye, the microscope will reveal just how intricate it is; and how each branch is slightly different from the others.
Not all snowflakes are created equal. If it is very cold, they will fall as dry powder. Or, they may also take the shape of slender hexagonal columns that look like tiny wooden pencils under the microscope. The iconic star-shape people adore will only occur when the temperature is around -15 C (5 F) and the ice crystal can grow large and drift gently earthward without hitting any other crystals. With or without a microscope, the six-sided dendrite ice crystal is a beauty to behold.
Item number: 110816 (Tanzanite)
Face Value: 20 dollars
Mintage: 7,500 (each)
Composition: 99.99% pure Silver
Weight (g): 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
Finish: Proof embedded Swarovski Elements
• The latest issue in this immensely popular series of Crystal Snowflake Coins. Since its debut in 2007, all coins in this series have sold out.
• Each 99.99% pure silver coin perfectly showcases the intricate beauty of Canada's most defining climatic feature, the snowflake.
• Coin enhanced with six Swarovski Elements for a stunning crystalline effect.
• Two spectacular crystal colours for 2010: Blue and Tanzanite.
Coin is encapsulated and presented in a maroon clamshell case lined with flock and protected by a black sleeve.
Please note: This product is no longer tax exempt due to modifications to the coin, including (but not limited to):
• Embellishments such as sculptures or moving parts
• Crystals, gemstones or diamonds embedded into the coin
• Sculptures and/or other moving parts
Please see The Royal Canadian Mint's FAQ for more details.